- Hartz AJ, Kuhn EM, Pulido J. Prestige of training programs and experience of bypass surgeons as factors in adjusted patient mortality rates. Med Care. Jan 1999;37(1):93-103.
- O'Neill L, Lanska DJ, Hartz A. Surgeon characteristics associated with mortality and morbidity following carotid endarterectomy. Neurology. Sep 26 2000;55(6):773-781.
- Neumayer LA, Gawande AA, Wang J, et al. Proficiency of surgeons in inguinal hernia repair: effect of experience and age. Ann Surg. Sep 2005;242(3):344-348; discussion 348-352.
- Waljee JF, Greenfield LJ, Dimick JB, Birkmeyer JD. Surgeon age and operative mortality in the United States. Ann Surg. Sep 2006;244(3):353-362.
- Lee HJ, Drag LL, Bieliauskas LA, et al. Results from the cognitive changes and retirement among senior surgeons self-report survey. J Am Coll Surg. Nov 2009;209(5):668-671 e662.
- Davis DA, Mazmanian PE, Fordis M, Van Harrison R, Thorpe KE, Perrier L. Accuracy of physician self-assessment compared with observed measures of competence: a systematic review. Jama. Sep 6 2006;296(9):1094-1102.
- Powell DH. Profiles in Cognitive Aging. London: Harvard University Press; 1994,p. 87.
- Eva KW. The aging physician: changes in cognitive processing and their impact on medical practice. Acad Med. Oct 2002;77(10 Suppl):S1-6.
- Bieliauskas LA, Langenecker S, Graver C, Lee HJ, O'Neill J, Greenfield LJ. Cognitive changes and retirement among senior surgeons (CCRASS): results from the CCRASS Study. J Am Coll Surg. Jul 2008;207(1):69-78; discussion 78-69.
- Drag LL, Bieliauskas LA, Langenecker SA, Greenfield LJ. Cognitive functioning, retirement status, and age: results from the Cognitive Changes and Retirement among Senior Surgeons study. J Am Coll Surg. Sep 2010;211(3):303-307.
- Hyde G, Miscall B. Impairment Due to Aging. The Impaired Surgeon: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Reentry. Chicago: American College of Surgeons; 1992:5.
- Greenfield LJ. Farewell to surgery. J Vasc Surg. Jan 1994;19(1):6-14.